Reuters - Video

エディション: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Protests over Haiti election outcome

2016年 12月 1日 Thursday - 00:42

Protesters march through Haiti's capital in a growing row over the country's disputed election results.

▲ ストーリーを隠す

ストーリーを表示する

NATURAL ROUGH CUT - NO REPORTER NARRATION Protesters marched through Haiti's capital city of Port-au-Prince on Wednesday (November 30), as losing candidates rejected preliminary results of an election that indicated banana exporter Jovenel Moise would be the next president. Moise, who ran for former President Michel Martelly's Bald Heads Party, won with 55.67 percent of votes cast in the November 20 election, the electoral council said on Monday. The result avoids a second round run-off next year. Police used tear gas on protesters at a march called by Fanmi Lavalas, the leftist party of former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide which called the results an "electoral coup." Since the election, the United States Embassy issued reports of demonstrations, gunshots and burning tires in downtown Port-au-Prince and Malpasse, a town close to the border with the Dominican Republic. Haitian national police also reported protests in La Saline. Moise, the front-runner in a scrapped election last year, received a majority of votes, meaning there is no need for a second round. Jude Celestin, a mechanical engineer who had led a government construction firm, came in second. He received just under a fifth of the vote. Moise Jean-Charles, a leftist senator, netted 11 percent, while Narcisse, running for Aristide's Fanmi Lavalas party, won around 9 percent, the preliminary results showed. The Organization of American States, which had been among the international observers of the election, said the results corresponded with its data. However, turnout was low and 10 percent of sheets tallying votes were thrown out because of irregularities. In a country of 10 million people, Jovenel Moise received just 600,000 votes. Three people on the nine-member electoral council did not sign the report declaring Moise the winner, although the council's president did not say who had abstained. Those elements fuelled a universal condemnation of the results from the losing candidates, who have 72 hours to contest before the final results are released on December 29. Representatives of the second and third place candidates have already said they would challenge the results. Results showed the top four candidates finished in the same order as they had in the 2015 election which was scrapped over voter fraud and sparked violent protests.

リンクをコピーするには:URL上で右クリック後「コピー」を選択。モバイル端末では、URLを長押ししてください。

Protests over Haiti election outcome

2016年 12月 1日 Thursday - 00:42